Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8 vs. 2.3?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8 vs. 2.3?
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 10:29:19 +0100 (BST)

> Hello Lynx,
>
>     Using lynx v2.8rel.2, I am unable to "link" to items in an item
> list (<LI> tag) when the tag is (incorrectly) placed before the high-
> lighted text rather than the anchor tag.  However, a local service using
> Lynx v2.3 does not have this problem.  It seems tedious to have to

The right solution, although often frustrated, is to get the HTML repaired.

Generally Microsoft don't document the behaviour of their browsers well even
for valid input, so it is virtually impossible to get a definitive description
of the big two's error recovery behaviour, in order to emulate them, and,
in any case, the whole point of standards is so that you don't have to
do this.

There are windows tools around that will convert syntactically invalid
HTML into syntactically valid HTML, whilst trying to maintain the appearance
under the big two.  The page authors ought to use one of these, then repair
any failure to exactly emulate the big two error recovery.  They are free
software, but I forget the name.

Using such tools within the browser simply encourages the continued creation
of broken HTML.