lynx-dev to uuencode or not to uuencode

From: kweide
Subject: lynx-dev to uuencode or not to uuencode
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 09:38:54 -0500 (CDT)

David Combs wrote:

> What's so bad about uudecode and gzcat?

Uuencoding is broken by design, in my opinion.  It uses unsafe
characters.  There are multiple incompatible encoders and decoders.
A given uudecode may be picky about whether spaces are preserved
at line ending - just the sort of problem encoding is supposed to
remove!  I've had far more problems with uuencoded mails than with
unencoded ones.

Another point is the convenience of scanning a patch right in the
mailbox, to get an idea what it's about, without any external
incantations or special setup.  (Please don't send messages now
that _your_ mail reader does that automatically, it doesn't apply
for everyone.)

   Klaus