Re: lynx-dev What the heck is up with this?

From: John Bley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev What the heck is up with this?
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 16:07:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Because the place where an A's title, or a LINK's title or rel value,
> is recorded in the destination's HTParentAnchor object and nowhere
> else[*].  Essentially the title is handled as a property of the link
> destination, not of the link itself (for A as well as LINK - with
> non-copitalized 'link' I mean the more general sense that includes
> both).

That is very weird.

> Normally in most cases this is ok since you don't have multiple links
> of different kinds pointing to the same destination.  It's just those
> test cases...

Yeah, yeah, it's always the buggy test cases that cause the problems :-)

> It seems to me the decisive but straightforward way to resolve these
> ambiguities is to treat title attributes (and equivalents) as properties
> of the link, i.e. record them in the HTLink struct (see HTAnchor.h).

That seems like a much better approach than my original idea.

> You can see in the code my recent attempt to do this more half-heartedly
> (conservatively) for *some* link types, by adding title info to the
> (mostly unused) HTLinkType.  If you tested with say "chapter" and "up"
> instead of "bookmark" and "start", you should see something different.

Indeed I do.  I see the destination URLs instead of the titles.  What
good is that?  We have the titles, they (in theory) provide extra
information about the URLs, why not display them?  They're useful.

--
John Bley - address@hidden
Duke '99 - English/Computer Science