Re: lynx-dev LYNX: search order: aaa.org --> www.aaa.org.edu (???)

From: Greg Marr
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: search order: aaa.org --> www.aaa.org.edu (???)
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 16:53:07 -0400

At 04:01 PM 5/3/99 , David Combs wrote:
>what's wrong with the www?  Why do they allow that to be omitted?
>Couldn't that place that registers site names disallow names not
>prefixed by www?  Oh well, marketing is everything.

There is no place that registers site names.  There is a place that
registers domain names, which is generally only the last two parts of
the name (browser.org, sig.net, aaa.org).  However, once that part is
registered, they have no control over what goes before it.  Host names
that start with www is just a convention that people have used.  It
isn't even universal.  MIT's named their official web server
web.mit.edu, because a student-run one was already named www.mit.edu.
One you probably use is lynx.browser.org.

--
Greg Marr
address@hidden