lynx-dev Changes at DejaNews (email) impact lynx access

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Changes at DejaNews (email) impact lynx access
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 01:53:58 -0700

Among other "free" mailbox "accounts", I have one at DejaNews, which
was working just fine ... until Thursday, 4/29/99.

Starting then, attempting to access my dejanews email account thru
<http://www.dejanews.com/mydn.xp/>, I would get redirected to
<http://www.dejanews.com/mydn_forums.xp?uniq=999999999.888888888>,
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                           (actual id #'s changed)

which provides a toolbar, giving subsequent access to various deja-
news services ... other than the email "accounts".  None of the
subsequent links had any links to the email pages, either.

Anyway, after several messages to one of the DejaNews Customer
Support people (Michael), it turns out that some changes were made
at DejaNews, which have (unintentionally) impacted access via lynx.

Michael has informed me that their developers are "looking into the
problem".

I suggested that Michael give me an "absolute" URL for their email
page, to which he provided <http://www.dejanews.com/rg_gotomail.xp/>.

Amazingly enough (!), that URL works just fine, and I can once again
access the dejanews mailboxen.

Whether use of that URL will become DejaNews's "fix" for the problem,
or just a workaround, I dunno, but I thought I'd pass the info along
here, as I'm sure others will run into this.

I've no idea what the DejaNews people changed last Wed/Thurs that
caused this problem, but I've offered to help them resolve it, if
they ask.

As may be ... a big thanks to Michael for looking into the problem,
and not using the all-too-typical cop-out of "we don't support lynx
access" that one often hears!

I'll let y'all know if there are further developments ...

/kim

PS: BTW, before someone suggests it, spoofing the User-Agent header
    to Mozilla/4.03 didn't work either (with the original URL).