Re: lynx-dev changing the installed lynx's directory layout

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev changing the installed lynx's directory layout
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 05:06:41 +0500 (SAMST)

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> 990503 Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > I propose to change the directory structure in which lynx installs.
> -- details snipped --
>
> the current idea of `installation' goes back to the Age of Giants,
> when Lynx was intended for multiple-user systems
> & an administrator installed the necessary files
> in fairly standard directories on UNIX or VMS.

  As I propose, lynx should continue install files in fairly standard places
(more precisely - to subdirs of $(prefix) - and it's /usr/local/ by default),
 in different directory - to $(prefix)/lynx. We can consider that now it
installs to $(prefix)/

> today, many users compile their own, often for DOS or Windows,
> & it would make much more sense to have a simple list in  userdefs.h
> inviting them to specify the exact paths they desire for each file;
> there would be a default, if lynx-devers can agree on one.
>
> i have had some difficulty in the past getting configure
> to tell Lynx where to find the help files etc (it works now)
> & always move the binary to  ~/bin  by hand

  Doesn't "configure --bindir=~/bin" work?

> & leave the other files in the package where they originate.
> it ought not to be such a mess for individual compilers.
>[...]

 Anyway, seems that lynx will install not just only help files (after adding
new features), so we should have a separate directory for lynx support files,
not for help only IMO.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad