Re: lynx-dev http_referer bug?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev http_referer bug?
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 08:15:45 +0100 (BST)

> BUT..  recently i made some changes, i enforced a check against
> HTTP_REFERER to ensure that all POST operations were coming from

You should be aware that many people run proxies which delete Referer
headers (e.g. Junkbusters, or squid in anonymising mode) and that Lynx
itself can be configured to suppress them completely.  This is because,
like cookies, they can be used to create click trails (but unlike cookies
the can actually generate click trails between different sites).

(I must admit that though I refuse cookies by default, I do give valid
Referer headers.)