Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 16:36:03 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 5 May 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> I didn't put Vlad's most recent patch into the pre-release (it makes
> assumptions about the function and availability of the C preprocessor which
> I've found in the past to be not true).
>
> The generated html looks good - but I see adding this as an experimental
> feature which is not available on some platforms.  However, even that
> requires some maintainance effort - it relies on a handcrafted version of
> lynx.cfg
>
> So let's take that up in the 2.8.3 development.  (Vlad's doing some nice
> work, it just isn't quite as portable as I think Lynx should be - so it'll
> take time/effort to integrate).
>
> --
> Thomas E. Dickey
> address@hidden
> http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey

  On which systems '$(CC) -E' won't do preprocessing only?

  We can also include already generated html and lynx cfg in the distribution,
so the ones that don't have have $(CPP) functionality can use those shipped
version of htmls and lynx.cfg. We can remove section 'Status:' (the
section that is specific to each configuration of lynx, that tells whether
the given setting is accepted by current configuration of lynx) from the
shipped html docs and lynx.cfg so that they will look more adequatly to any
lynx distribution (I can fix macros to do this if some macro like NO_STATUS
is defined).
  IMO strucured description of settings, with alphabetical- and by category-
tables of contents are extermely useful for users.
  It will be nice if you (TD) generate html and lynx.cfg (from any lynx
configuraion) and put them on your site in order lynx developers to see and
chek it.

  It will be good if all lynx developers will be able to use this patch, in
order to edit /scripts/body.in instead of /lynx.cfg when updating
documentation of lynx.cfg settings.

PS: beware, the patch that was put on clark.net contains part of the
2.8.2dev26 patch, so some lines of that patch will be rejected (it's ok).

 Best regards,
  -Vlad