Re: lynx-dev US Gov't mandates hadicapped web access

From: Collin Forbes
Subject: Re: lynx-dev US Gov't mandates hadicapped web access
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 16:03:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> Attached is the URL of a page that goes into the new requirements in
> much greater depth, and has a number of related links to follow.  I've
> also included a few relevant excerpts from it.

I'm sufficiently cynical to beleive these guidelines and requirements may
actually hinder accessibility.

>      The first guideline requires Web sites to supply text alternatives
>      for all images and graphics.

Not "meaningful text alternatives" or any mention of omitting the alt text
for an image where it does not convey any information at all (a spacer gif).
I don't have to stretch to imagine a visually impaired person arguing about
this with a government web site written to the letter of the law.  I fear
informal guidelines (and even the threat of ADA) are no match for the weight
of a bureaucracy.