Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 17:46:54 +0900 (JST)

> >> requires some maintainance effort - it relies on a handcrafted version of
> >> lynx.cfg
>
> It is reasonable to include generated *.html files into the 2.8.2
> distribution (like we have with gettext' lynx.pot) and leave portability

I have never understood, and certainly do not think it "reasonable" to
include lynx.pot in the distribution since the source code for tools to
generate the file are included in the distribution.  Since the entire
intl/ subdirectory is an independent package, why it remains is beyond me.
Now that Tom has Sun's implementation working, there is even less reason
to keep it around.

-r--r--r--   1 nelsonhe   312313 Nov 11 04:47 fr.po
-rw-r--r--   1 nelsonhe   101230 Apr 23 23:56 lynx.pot

I could happily live without the above 400KB, and not loose a speck of
functionality.  No, I do not want more static files than absolutely need
be in that already overbearing distribution.  Why in the world do I want
an htmlized (=bloated) copy of userdefs.h?  The first step after breaking
out the distribution I take is patch userdefs.h to my site defaults.
(lynx.cfg is even worse; just copy my 6KB file right over it.)

`quota` no longer exists?  Anyone out there old enough to know what an
Edsel is?  A lynx is a fast _LEAN_ cat.

__Henry