Re: lynx-dev Re: forms problem (unanswered query)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: forms problem (unanswered query)
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 08:41:32 +0100 (BST)

> I think it's #1 because I have 96M of RAM and I noticed that the disk
> didn't move when I started up lynx -- I think Linux must cache files by
> inode.  So, when I recompiled it, it was a different inode and had to
> re-fetch it from the hard drive and store the new image in memory.  How's
> that for a hypothesis?

Linux (and Unix) cache by disk sector number, not inode.  The shell
caches by filename, so within one command session, creating a new copy
of a program in a earlier place in the PATH can be ineffective until
you issue rehash.

For sharing of resident programs and shared libraries, inodes are used,
but the system will not allow the underlying file to be overwritten and
a new file will be considered a completely different program.