Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 14:46:23 +0500 (SAMST)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> Vlad Harchev wrote from somewhere beyond the International Date Line:
                                     I do this again :)
> > On Fri, 7 May 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
> >> eg  www.hippo.ru/~hvv/body.html  tells me the default is  ALERTSECS:3 ,
> >> but doesn't say what (your) setting is.
> >> if i wanted to use it everyday, i'ld like to know how i had set it.
> > It's impossible to do this in persistent html
> > or body.html must be generated on each invokation of lynx.
> > But my patch also modifies LYReadCFG.c, the screen user gets
> > after selecting 'O'ptions->"check your lynx.cfg here".
>
> so why not have  body.html  (re)generated at that point?
> presumably, users aren't going to do this very often.

  You induced wise thoughts in me.

  At my 5x86-133, generating body.html takes about 20 secs (generating
lynx.cfg takes the same time), so IMO it's useless to regenerate it on each
invokation of lynx (or after changing settings in configuration files).
  But there is another way. In the description of setting XYZ, we can include
the following code:
<h1>Current value</h1><a href=LYNXSETVALUE://XYZ>View current status</a>

ie, a link with special url, that will be interpreted by lynx in the special
way. It's not difficult to to add support for such kind of urls in lynx. For
example, for setting ALERTSECS it can display the following code:

<h1>The current value of <em>ALERTSECS</em></h1>
ALERTSECS:3<p>
  This value was read from <a href=/usr/local/lib/lynx-included.cfg>
/usr/local/lib/lynx-included.cfg</a> at line 53.<p>
  This default value of this setting was defined in 'userdefs.h', and is
ALERTSECS:3<p>
  This setting is <em>accepted</em> by current configuration of lynx.

  Or (if setting wasn't explicitly initialized in any configuration file):

<h1>The current value of <em>ALERTSECS</em></h1>
ALERTSECS:3<p>
  This setting wasn't mentioned in any configuration file, default value,
defined in 'userdefs.h' was used.
  This setting is <em>accepted</em> by current configuration of lynx.

  If we remove sections 'Default value'and 'Status' from body.html, we will
get body.html independant of lynx configuraion!!!!!! So, no there is no need
in generating it - we can include generated copy of body.html and lynx.cfg in
the distribution (as the script 'configure'), not the source!!!!
  The contents of '/scripts' directory can be distributed as 'lynx development
pack' - used only for those how wish to update documentation of settings in
lynx.cfg. After each update of body.in, maintainer have to regenerate
'body.html' and put generated body.html and lynx.cfg in distibution.
  IMO it's a very good idea.

  To TD: I can start working on this in order it to be included in 2.8.2.

> > My patch turns setting names into hyperlinks;
> > activating each hyperlink gives description of this setting
> > ( url for setting named "X" is "$(helpdir)/lynxcfg/body.html#X"),
> > so it's possible to see what settings are read from  lynx.cfg
>
> your document above doesn't show what settings are read from  lynx.cfg ,
> only what the default is: or will it be different when a user uses it?
> ie will it show  ALERTSECS:3  (default which comes with Lynx)
> or  ALERTSECS:1  (what i set it to when i edited my own  lynx.cfg )?
> it's the latter which would be really useful for users to have:
> the former is little more than academic once Lynx is being used.
>
> --
> SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : address@hidden
> ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|  Centre for Urban & Community Studies
> TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'  University of Toronto

 Best regards,
  -Vlad