Re: lynx-dev 2.8.2dev.21 page count broken?

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.2dev.21 page count broken?
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 01:40:22 -0700

Johnny Tevessen wrote:

> > There *are* B (4) pages in the document.  But the fragment points to a
> > position inside one of those pages, so, although Lynx claims this is
> > "page A", it's actually some place inside page A (and covers part of
> > page A+1).  This happens because Lynx doesn't force 1:1 alignment
> > between document pages and screen pages.
>
> Yes, but you _start_ with this #fragment address. But then you
> scroll on up and down pagewise, to the beginning, to the end..
> and it's still only 1, 2, and 4. I can see no reason why Lynx
> should still remember the #fragment in this respect.

In my testing, if I really went to the top of the document, the effect
went away.  I can't check right now because I'm connecting with the
remarkably crappy Win98 built-in telnet program, which can only vaguely
emulate a 25-line(?!) vt100...

> > Go to the URL, then hit ^A or HOME or whatever your keymap uses for the
> > Lynx "HOME" action.
>
> You mean "scroll up to the top of the document"?

I really meant "tell Lynx `HOME'", because I was more certain that would
put you at the top.  I could also say "hit up-arrow until Lynx
complains", or something like that, but the intended effect is: go *all*
the way to the top, and be sure you're there.  Remember, Lynx is
initially misleading you by printing "page 1" in the upper right corner,
when in fact you are *not* at the top, you're just somewhere in the
middle of page 1.