Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 21:20:22 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> >  Please read messages more carefully. It's not a htmlized copy of
> > userdefs.h.
>
> My choice of the word "copy" was poor, but I still view the idea as an
> htmlized regurgitation of the information in userdefs.h.
>
> >  Making lynx lean <-> not including probably useful functionality. Please
> > don't prevent lynx to evolve.
>
> I am not in a position to "prevent" anything, but if I don't like the
> direction that Lynx seems to be evolving, then I see no reason to be
> quiet about it.  In the end, lynx-dev as a whole will be the judge.
>
> Rather than assume that the "useful functionality" is _obviously_ useful
> to everyone, I think you might at least give a few hints to us users what's
> so great about it.  Tell me in simple terms why it's so great to be able to
> have Lynx tell me how it's configured when I configured it.

 The main "functionality" of that patch was providing structured description
of settings in lynx.cfg with alphabetical and categorized indexes. Telling the
default values of settings wasn't it's primary purpose, but valuable
(for somebody) addition.
 It's like normal help file. If you don't read it, it doesn't mean that it
should be removed from distribution.

> __Henry

 Best regards,
  -Vlad