Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:18:25 -0700

Vlad Harchev wrote:

>  IMO it worth including it in 2.8.2. I tested it extensively.

It's up to Tom.  He's asked the group to concentrate on bug fixing for
the moment.  Here we have a huge new feature with various C source
changes as well as large new HTML files, about which an argument is
currently raging.  I don't think it's appropriate to be rolling into a
version that's at the end of its cycle.  But I haven't looked at the
actual C patches; if they're simple enough for Tom to feel confident,
perhaps he'll decide to include them now.

Please don't confuse my position -- I'm not at all against your patch, I
think it looks like a very useful addition.  On the other hand, we have
past experience with neat new features added just before a release,
causing all sorts of problems until the next release can be finished.
Sure, *you* have "tested it extensively", but you can't possibly
anticipate the problems that will happen in the field.  A change like
this properly belongs at the beginning of a development cycle, where it
can season for a while.