Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:44:38 -0700

On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 09:53:45AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> i ran strange behaviour by Lynx faced with non-US URLs yesterday:
>
>   www.uwe.ac.uk/
>   www.its.leeds.ac.uk/
>   www.ngs.fi/
>   www.tramlink.com.uk/
>
> when i entered these or similar without  http:// ,
> Lynx started guessing stupidly: `trying http://www.uwe.ac.uk.com/' .
> Lynx seems not to know about country top-level domains:
> can this be corrected?  LP in  .ru  (smile)?

I complained about this same thing a few days ago, but was
told that lynx wasn't being "stupid".

Didn't convince me; I still think it was being stupid a bit.

At least if people want it to try adding the .com to a .uk
(which .uk lynx should ALREADY "know about", via some
table of "endings"), it should wait
until the END before trying it -- after trying all other
things.

That's what I think, anyway....   :-)

David