Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 23:57:13 +0500 (SAMST)

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 13-May-99 01:23 Vlad Harchev wrote:

> >> Looking onto body.html I found its source not so pretty as I was expected:
> >> if we include it as a help file we should fix generating script first.
>
> >  OK, all this will be fixed. New version of body.html will be placed at
> > www.hippo.ru/~hvv (I'l inform about this).
>
> It would be nice if you split your patch into two:
> one for *.html files and the other for LYNXSETTINGSTATUS:// handling.
> (how about LYNXCFGSETTINGSTATUS:// ?)

 I consider C code of it to be stable. New versions of body.html will be put
 on www.hippo.ru/~hvv/lynx/.
  The version that fixes inconsistenses reported by you (new version, not a
patch) is availble at http://www.hippo.ru/~hvv/lynx/body-1.0.html.gz.

> >> 1) too much blank lines (a series of ~30 blank lines).
 Fixed.
> >  Cpp emits a line for line of input (even if the input line is macro
> > definition, that won't go to output). Quick (but incomplete) solution is
> > 'cat -s body.html > body-new.html'.
>
> Good HTML source layout can be seen in lynx-dev.html of lynx_help/ dir.

 It will be good, if we try to use some html beautifiers on the body.html.
It's difficult to reformat body.html in order its source to be really pretty.
> >> 2) no newlines before/after <p>
> >> 3) no newlines before <h2>, <h3> and after </h2> </h3> etc.

 3) is fixed. fixing 2) will make body.html less readable IMO.

> >  2) and 3) will be done.
>
> >> 4) what the purpose of this line:
>
> >  The purpose of lines like this was inserting a big gap between setting
> > descriptions (I decided that they look better if there is some gap between
> > them).

 Placing it on one line has advantage of stripping this line with sed very
easy.

> >> 5) obvious typo (address@hidden):
> >> +<link rev="made" href="mailto:lynx-devLYS__sig.net";>
>
> >  For curious: every unquoted @ is replaced with LYS__ (so I was able to use
> > short names for macros like @M,@S,@H). In that case I simply forgot to quote
> > '@'.
>
> grep body.html LYS__    and you will find more curiosities

  In the body.html supplied with www.hippo.ru/~hvv/patch.gz this string is
only in comments (and in place you reported about).

> >  Due to the fact this file was generated with sed/cpp/sed, reformatting
> > issues
> > like 1-4) can ber easily performed. This is an advantage of storing
> > docs in special format.
> This is a matter of taste. (using word processors may be another solution).

 I have an impression, that it will be easy to generate sgml code (for
lynuxdoc) from body.in. If it's true, then we will be able to generate
description of settings in a wide variety of formats:
   tex,dvi,ps,rtf,ms windows *.hlp!

> >  Thanks Leonid, all this will be fixed.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad