Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 15:34:47 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Philip Webb said:

> Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:52:01 -0400 (EDT)
>
> precisely: if i enter simply  ao  & i've ask for guessing in  lynx.cfg ,
> Lynx should try eg  http://www.ao.com/ ,  http://www.ao.org/  ... ;
> but if i enter  some.site.ao/  (even without the  / )
> -- let alone  www.its.leeds.ac.uk/  or  www.ngs.fi/js/  -- ,
> Lynx should be intelligent enough to know  .uk .fi .ao  are countries.

Let me see if I understand you:

Should Lynx attempt to complete "www.stanford" to "www.stanford.edu"?
        ___        ___
    yes |_|     no |_|

Should Lynx attempt to complete "www.ru" to "www.ru.edu"?
        ___        ___
    yes |_|     no |_|

If the answers are the same, then no list of country codes is
needed to make a distinction.

If the answers are different, please explain the rationale
for treating Rogers University differently from Stanford
University, based on the overlap of the middle qualifier
of the name of one of them with a particular country code.

I claim that there is no case in which an incomplete URL
which might match Rogers University should be treated
differently from an incomplete URL (with the same scheme)
which might match Stanford University.  Don't discriminate
against Rogers just because their initials look like Russia.

-- gil