Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 14:27:07 +0500 (SAMST)

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
>
> > > If the answers are different, please explain the rationale
> > > for treating Rogers University differently from Stanford University,
> > > based on the overlap of the middle qualifier of the name
> > > of one of them with a particular country code.
> >
> > because countries like Russia are a lot more important
> > than minor US universities or even well-known ones like Stanford.
> > isn't that obvious?
>
> Just to add some confusion, country codes aren't always what they
> seem. Moldova is now selling domain name service to physicians and
> health related organizations in the US (and presumable elsewhere), so
> that they can have a URL ending in ".md". The assumption is that most
> net naive users will think that ".md" has to do with a medical degree,
> rather than a country name.

  It seems to me that nobody in this thread have read description of
URL_DOMAIN_SUFFIXES and URL_DOMAIN_PREFIXES. This is a quote from docs:

   The prefixes will not be used if
   the first element ends in a dot (or has a dot before the :port or
   /path), and similarly the suffixes will not be used if the first
   element begins with a dot (e.g., .nyu.edu will become
   http://www.nyu.edu without testing www.nyu.com).

 So, to go to http://www.ru, it's enough to 'g' to '.ru'

>                                  Doug
> __