lynx-dev SSL Support for Lynx 2.8.2

From: Mark Mentovai
Subject: lynx-dev SSL Support for Lynx 2.8.2
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 20:22:23 -0400

To everyone that is interested in SSL for Lynx:

In anticipation of the upcoming release of 2.8.2, I've updated my
"semi-official" SSL patch to support Lynx 2.8.2pre3.  Those of you
interested in testing it out may obtain it, as always, from
http://www.moxienet.com/lynx/.

There has been some discussion recently about whether or not the recent
attack on cryptographic export restrictions by the U.S. Court of Appeals
will impact the ability to distribute Lynx with the SSL patch already
implemented.  At this point, I believe it's too soon to tell, as the
decision is being appealed, and to err on the safe side, the SSL hooks
should remain out of the 2.8.2 distribution.  It's always been my opinion
that the patch contains nothing that would violate any export laws (it
doesn't have crypto code, it links with SSLeay) but in order to satisfy
those that disagreed, the patch was always maintained as a separate
project.  Hopefully, the recent court decision will be upheld, and we can
put this entire mess behind us.

We shouldn't forget that, as always, there are patent issues to be aware of
with the libraries used by this patch.  (For now.)

Please let me know if you have any comments.

-MM

--
Mark Mentovai
address@hidden