lynx-dev John's TODO list

From: John Bley
Subject: lynx-dev John's TODO list
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 14:31:09 -0400 (EDT)

As promised, here is my (lynx) TODO list which I never really had the time
to do.  I'm going to have intermittent net connectivity for a while, but
I should be back on lynx-dev to yak about lynx after a week or so.  I'm
looking forward to the 2.8.2 release and being able to say that I helped
in at least a small way to make it a good one.

It's been great fun working with all of you.  Thanks.

==== LEAKS ====
L1) Authentication code: HTAABrow.c, HTAA_shouldRetryWithAuth()
        -  list allocated with
                HTList *valid_schemes = HTList_new();
           is never freed, nor are the elements added to it freed.
        - However, sometimes the list is added to various file-static
          vars such as proxy_setup.  Quite hard to trace where/when this
          list and its contents should be released.
        - Typical list leak is allocated like this:
                calloc()
                HTList_new()
                HTAA_shouldRetryWithAuth()
                HTLoadHTTP()
                HTLoad()
                HTLoadDocument()
                HTLoadAbsolute()
                getfile()
        - Typical element leak is allocated like this:
                calloc()
                HTList_addObject()
                HTAA_shouldRetryWithAuth()
                HTLoadHTTP()
                HTLoad()
                HTLoadDocument()
                HTLoadAbsolute()
                getfile()
        - Typical size of leak(s): ~ 32 bytes
        - Good testing site: New York times text page
                http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/front/
                login: cypherpunks passwd: cyhperpunks

L2) lynxcfg viewing/reload code: LYReadCFG.c
        - typical leak is allocated like:
                HTSACat()
                LYLocalFileToURL()
                lynx_cfg_infopage()
                getfile()
                mainloop()
                main()
        - Believe it to be when the "reload" option is selected, in
          reload_read_cfg (LYMain.c), but this method is not finished yet.
        - Doesn't leak when default cfg is used, only with -cfg=...
        - Typical size of leak: 37 bytes / size of pathname

L3) owner_address leak in LYMainLoop.c
        - Very hard to trace this.
        - Typical leaked allocation looks like
                HTSACopy()
                mainloop()
                main()
        - Typical size of leak: size of email address (< 50 bytes)
        - Attempted one patch, TD said he needed more time (can't blame him)
          http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0599/msg00236.html

==== BUGS ====
B1) <link> and title= stuff:
        - discussion started in (sample file included)
          http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0599/msg00002.html
        - KW seems to understand this, has been working on a similar issue

B2) ftp download + screen redraw
        - When viewing an ftp and dir and downloading something, the
          screen sometimes redraws to the top of the ftp dir while the
          download is in progress
        - Can't seem to repeat, no pattern as far as I can tell.
        - Might just be my curses lib or something

==== FEATURES ====
F1) True GNU-style long options
        - accept --foo-bar as -foo_bar
        - supports --foo_bar now, but all our long options have _s, not -s

F2) HTTP Link: header
        - http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0499/msg00024.html
          lots of detail, the spec, sample input
        - HTMIME.c, around line 1512, Link: header parsing already done,
          just nops for now.

==== ERRORS ====
==== CRUFT ====

--