Re: lynx-dev Dead link? (patch, this time)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Dead link? (patch, this time)
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 17:05:19 -0700

On Tue, May 18, 1999, address@hidden (address@hidden) said:

| > gives me "unable to access document".  Apparently COPYING is
| > in the distribution root directory, and not installed by
| > "gmake install-help".
|
| This installs it, for me, at least

| diff -bru orig/lynx2-8-2/makefile.in lynx2-8-2/makefile.in
| --- orig/lynx2-8-2/makefile.in        Tue May 18 14:27:59 1999
| +++ lynx2-8-2/makefile.in     Tue May 18 17:30:43 1999
| @@ -354,6 +354,7 @@
|               fi ; \
|               )'
|       -rm -f $(helpdir)/help_files.sed
| +     cp -p $(srcdir)/COPYING $(helpdir)/.
|       @echo Updating $(libdir)/lynx.cfg

That by itself won't quite do the trick, if one ./configure's using
the  --enable-gzip-help  (install gzip'ed help files) flag.

In addition to further  makefile.in  changes, you also need to fiddle
with the  lynx_help/help_files.txt  file.  Maybe something else, too.

IMO, we shouldn't bother ... the COPYING info is of little or no use
to people who are just *using* an ISP/Freenet/whatever pre-installed
lynx, and for those that are installing their own copy, they already
have access to the doc in the distribution.

Easier, and less "cluttering" to just reference the doc in the .html
file, and eliminate its being a link (if it really needs to be in
the .html help file(s) in the first place).

/kim