Re: lynx-dev new version of structured description ... patch

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev new version of structured description ... patch
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:57:31 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 18-May-99 07:48 Vlad Harchev wrote:

> >  IMO lynx_help/lynxcfg/*.html are worth including in the pre5 even
> > without support for LYNXSETTINGSTATUS:// so lynx-devers and users will check
> > them.
> Sure, agree (where Tom?).
>
> >  They can be referenced in a lot of places in present *.html files.
> ...depending on the availability of lynx_help/lynxcfg/*
>

> >> 3) many lines in body.html source begins with different offsets,
> >>   e.g. inside the same paragraph. IMHO it could be done by maintaining
> >>   'description' sections in plain HTML (in your body.in template),
> >>   leaving headers, 'default value' and 'status' sections to your scripts
> >> only.
> >>   In general, lynx users more comfortable with HTML than with hairy
> >> scripts.
> >>   (there will not be any problem until you maintain body.in, but in
> >> future?)
>
> >  As for future, I don't think syntax of body.in is so complex. I can
> > describe
> > the syntaxt in more details. And cpp knoweledge is useful thing anyway :) As
> > for scripts - seems that they are stabialized - they won't change
> > signtifically.
>
> >  IMO it will be better to reformat *.html by some html beatifiers rather
> > than
> > trying to do this by hand. Have anybody heard about such tools?
> >  I'm seriously thinking of writing a set of CPP macros that will generate
> > linuxdoc SGML DTD source from body.in - that can be converted to rtf (this
> > means inserted into MSWORD, MS Help format), latex (and to dvi and ps from
> > it)
> (you lost hypertext referenses with .dvi or .ps)

 They are not hypertext by nature, but they are useful for pretty printing
(with toc generation).

> > and to lyx. Those converted versions should be placed on lynx home page of
> > course.
> >  Independance of the markup language is a great thing. And if 'Description'
> > will be kept in html, then the body.in will be much larger and much more
>
> Well, OK.
> Please look into body.html and search for <br> :
> all instances appears after </h2>, </h3>, <p> by some screw reason.

 They are leaked from the @SL() macro - it inserts <br> before anything it
emits. Why does it bother you? Are you viewing it with anything other than
lynx?
 If it hurts, those br's are easily removed by a specially-written sed script
(4-liner). OK, I'l do this tomorrow and put them to my homepage
  www.hippo.ru/~hvv/body.html

> > difficult to maintain (from my POV) (reducing ablity to convert it to
> > something
> > else).

 Best regards,
  -Vlad