lynx-dev Re: Check out my webpage.

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Check out my webpage.
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:28:48 -0700

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 09:09:38AM +0200, Dr. Volker Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Combs wrote:
>
> > I went and looked, and it sure LYNX UNFRIENDLY!
>
> Who cares about Lynx? Perhaps Lynx has to be corrected.
>
> Volker
> at
> TEC++ DR. VOLKER SCHMIDT GMBH
> VOB Optical Design and Analysis Software (METEC), Micro Optics
> http://www.tecplusplus.de

I guess you've never heard of LYNX.

It is a TEXT-ONLY browser, far and away the best
(or only?) one of them.

Used by LOTS of system-administrators, and others
too, because it is FAST, FAST, FAST.

Plus, no pictures, no ads, instant display, etc.

ALSO in big use by BLIND people, because their
software that translates text to speech works FAR better
with plain ascii output.

Anyway, most sites have "ALT" thingies (I don't know
html) that do something "reasonable" for text-based
browsers.

Since it's said that you have a WONDERFUL site, with
LOTS AND LOTS of links available from ONE of your pages,
it'd help a lot if you made it easier to get to that
or those full-of-links pages you have.

---

Now, lots of linx users are directly connected to the
net, or have "ordinary" pc-accounts, and those people
can always just switch to a different browser, eg
netscape or ie.

HOWEVER, SOME of us have "shell" accounts on the isp,
whereby we log-in as 1970's-style time-sharing users,
from a dumb terminal like interface (me: via shelltool on
sun).

For US, we HAVE no other browser -- lynx (ie text only)
is all we have.  For newsgroups, we also use another text-only
package, often "trn" (a really hot package!).

Anyway, I hope that this is some kind of an explanation.

Thanks at least for reading this.

David Combs   address@hidden

(ask some of your friends what they know about "lynx")