Re: lynx-dev STANDARDS-READY?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev STANDARDS-READY?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:10:19 +0100 (BST)

> I'm trying to find out information as to whether or
> not Lynx is CSS-compliant in any way (CSS 1 & 2), as

Lynx does not implement CSS.

> well as to see whether it's HTML 4.0 compliant. Also,

Lynx probably implements HTML 4 more accurately than IE4, although
many web pages require one or more option to be selected to make it
tolerate invalid HTML.  Lynx was written from the standpoint of parsing
HTML according to the DTD, although there is a lot of pressure on the
developers to mimic the incorrect and error recovery behaviour in the
big two.

NB HTML 4 does not dictate the details of how the page should be rendered -
if you want that, use a page description language like PDF or Postscript.

I am not aware of any complete implementations of HTML 4.0, not even
Amaya.  Nor for that matter am I aware of complete CSS implementations,
although IE5 might not be that far off.  Netscape 4 CSS is fairly badly
broken, to the extent that some CSS features may never be used properly
because the won't degrade gracefully to NS4, even though they will do
for non-CSS browsers.

Lynx definitely does implement HTTP more accurately than IE4/5 as Microsoft
chose to ignore Content-Type headings in many cases.