Re: lynx-dev Lynx accessibility issue

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx accessibility issue
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 23:45:29 +0100 (BST)

> I'm in the process of redesigning my pages (for example:
> http://www.tcfn.org/cbpin) and am having a problem with the <b> and

I've had a chance to look at this URL now, and you need to convert
it into HTML before you try to test browser compatibility; use
http://validator.w3.org/, to find the errors and verify the fixes, or
download nsgmls, the underlying tool, from the same site.  There is also a
tool, called tidy, by one of the prime authors of the HTML specification,
which will fix errors in a way that tends to minimise the impact on the
big two.

Specific problems are unterminated comments (unless you know exactly what
you are doing it is best to have exactly four hyphens in any comment)
and <center> used in illegal contexts - the latter may explain your
centering problems and the former could cause all sorts of misbehaviour.

Note that validator.w3.org is currently fairly tolerant about missing
DOCTYPEs - it should validate as HTML 2.0, but actually validates as
HTML 4.0 (loose version).

You also have a \ where there should be a / in a URL for a GIF.

You should also test with non-big two GUI browsers; Amaya (see
http://www.w3.org/) shows the main text as white on light grey which
is probably the result of differing error recovery from that in the
big two.  (Also Amaya has a text only mode as well as a graphic mode
(View | Alternative)).

You should probably note that a denial of service attack on counter.exe
was published on the NTBUGTRAQ list today.

You have list structures which are simulated with <br> rather than done
properly as HTML lists (possibly with styles).

You are making quite heavy use of deprecated font attributes.  Although
you may lose some functionality on version 2 GUI browsers, you will get
much cleaner HTML if you use style sheets.