Re: lynx-dev Re: Now released Lynx2.8.2pre.4 for Win32

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Now released Lynx2.8.2pre.4 for Win32
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 19:20:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Hiroyuki Senshu wrote:

> Webmaster Jim wrote:
> >Hiroyuki:
> >
> >  Thank you for posting this to the list. I assume this is a
> >Japanese version of Lynx. Can you post more details such as whether
> >English-speaking users could use it, how to install it, etc.? I don't
> >have a program to read LZH files.
>
> Lynx that I introduce it to the public can be used in the whole world.
>
> Though correspondence to Japanese environment is done, even an environment
> except for Japan functions fully.
>
> I am not good at English with being disappointed.

I haven't had a chance to check the latest Win32 version from Hiroyuki
Senshu's site, but I can make a few comments, assuming that it is
set up like the last version. That version came with help files in
English and in Japanese, in separate directories. I simply used the
English ones. The lynx.cfg from the distribution was in the Japanese
help directory. I took this out and modified it according to my
preferences. The lynx.cfg in the main directory was appropriate for
Japanese users. It didn't come with sample lynx.bat files, nor did
it come with a sendmail program, mv or cp programs. I used the ones
from Wayne's distribution. The binary was compiled to use blat (or the
Japanese version blatj) as the mail program. To use sendmail, invoke
the program as "lynx -noblat". The last version didn't have on option
for this in lynx.cfg.

If you haven't set up the Win32 version of lynx before, I think it is
easiest to set up Wayne's old version, then substitute the binary and
updated lynx.cfg files.

If you are familiar with lynx already, there is enough information in
the distribution to figure out how to get it to work.

I would like to thank Hiroyuki for making his work known to the list.
I suspect that someone on the list would be willing to take a stab at
documentation in English for this distribution, if necessary.
                              Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)