lynx-dev Henry's Lynx/Win32 old crash: floating point operations

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: lynx-dev Henry's Lynx/Win32 old crash: floating point operations
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 14:49:28 +0400 (MSD)

While trying my DJGPP compiled lynx.exe at DOS another machine
I got a crash when loading lynx_users_guide.html
but lynx_main_help.html and other small files were loaded OK.
Something similar was reported by Henry long ago with his W32 binary.
See below.

The trace log ends with:
                Lynx Trace Log (2.8.2pre.4)

User message: Trace ON!

LYpush[1]: address:file://localhost/c:/tools/lynx/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html
        title:The Lynx Help Page
getfile: getting file://localhost/c:/tools/lynx/lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html

GridText: split_line(71 [now:71]) called
SGML: Start <A>
HTParse:
aName:file://localhost/c:/tools/lynx/lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html#lynx.cfg
relatedName:
HTParse: result:localhost
HTParse:
aName:file://localhost/c:/tools/lynx/lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html#lynx.cfg
relatedName:
HTParse: result:file
new Anchor 2198d8 named `' is child of 203220
Entered HTAnchor_findChildAndLink
HTParse: aName:fil
                ^^^^

I thought it was a memory problem (though ~6Mb RAM were free) so add two
more Mb from the other applications and got the same crash with exactly the
same trace log bottom (BTW, it actually stops later but trace file was not
flush'ed, yes?).

Then I remembered that this CPU have no floating point operations so I set
a correct path to DJGPP's 387 emulation driver and everything now OK.

The question is: what does these strange floating point operations used by
lynx for long files and not used for short files?