Re: lynx-dev re COPYHEADER COPYING

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev re COPYHEADER COPYING
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 03:28:52 -0700

On Thu, May 20, 1999, Vlad Harchev (address@hidden) said:

| > Well, I did this for one of the two files involved (I hastily neglected
| > the other.)  Then Kim observed that this didn't satisfy the requirement
| > for gzipped help files.  That requires a modification to a sed script
| > to change the suffix on the links in the html doc.  I ran out of
| > wind.  I have scant pride of authorship in having changed two
| > links; :-) I'll gladly bow to anyone who submits a patch satisfying
| > Henry and Kim.
|
|  Sorry, can someone describe both requirements in short?
|  IMO it's easy to do this - we can copy those 2 files uncompressed
| unconditionally (it's GPL - it gives us so much), without any .html suffixes.
| This can be done by modifying toplevel makefile.in:install-help - so no sed
| rules are to be fixed, those two COPY* files needn't be moved to
| distribution's /lynx_help, help_files.txt needn't be modified...

Let's not go overboard here.

We have a good solution now ... using links to the authoring site's
copy of the documents.

There's no need to make additional local copies of them, cluttering up
the lynx_help install directory, and bloating the install size by an
additional ~19k (or ~7.5k, gzip'd), *especially* since these docs are
meaningless to most lynx *users* (as opposed to lynx *installers*, who
already have copies of the files in their distribution files).

I'm a bit surprised at Henry's comments, since he's usually critical of
*anything* that increases the bloat-factor ... :-) ...

/kim