lynx-dev problem with LYNX_TEMP_SPACE?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: lynx-dev problem with LYNX_TEMP_SPACE?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:08:13 +0900 (JST)

> With LYNX_TEMP_SPACE defined/or not defined as an environment variable in
> .cshrc, i.e., "setenv LYNX_TEMP_SPACE $HOME", I get differing behavior
> among the three binaries.  Also, the latest Lynx is leaving temp files
> behind in my $HOME directory after normal exit (q => y).
>
> Lynx version            LYNX_TEMP_SPACE defined         not defined
>   2.8.2dev.8               no temp files left         no temp files left
>
>   2.8.2dev.22                temp files left          no temp files left
>
>   2.8.2pre.3                 temp files left            temp files left

Sorry, but this report is not quite right.  dev.8 does not leave
files as reported, but dev.22 and pre.3 do.  When LYNX_TEMP_SPACE is
not defined, the temp files are being left in the directory defined
in userdefs.h, TEMP_SPACE.  Therefore, LYNX_TEMP_SPACE is working
correctly.

The real problem is why temp files are being left behind.  Until this
problem is solved, I cannot test Lynx in a public-access environment.

The temp files created are the files which have been uncompressed by
e.g. gzip (gunzip) and are then passed to a second program for reading.
In mime.types:
   application/octet-stream          gz
   text/x-archive                    arc
In mailcap:
   application/octet-stream; /usr/local/bin/gzip -d %s
   text/x-archive; /usr/local/bin/most %s
Access something like:
   http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/lynxdev/archives/9812.arc.gz
After normal exit from Lynx, have files left like:
   /tmp/L29632-2TMP.arc

__Henry