lynx-dev remaining-temp-file bug

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: lynx-dev remaining-temp-file bug
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 11:48:38 +0900 (JST)

I still get dangling temp files after normal exit from pre.7.  I tried
to work up from dev.8 to see where Lynx got broken, but couldn't get
patches after dev.12 to go on and/or to compile.  dev.12 does not show
the problem, so the bug was introduced between dev.13 and dev.22.

The respective traces don't tell me a lot (except that the files in
question are deleted by a different function than the LYRemoveTemp
in the trace output).  Also, the file that Lynx tries to remove at
exit, "L24984-1TMP.arc.gz", in both images does not exist anymore  --
this in itself is a bug, unless it was decided that it was too much
overhead to test whether or not the decompression was successful.

                Lynx Trace Log (2.8.2pre.7)

User message: ??????????
stop_curses: done.
LYRemoveTemp(/home1/henry/L24984-1TMP.arc.gz)
...LYRemoveTemp done(-1)

                Lynx Trace Log (2.8.2dev.12)

User message: ??????????
LYRemoveTemp(/home1/henry/L24973-1TMP.arc.gz)
...LYRemoveTemp done(-1)

I took a quick-see at "HTFWriter.c" because it seems to me that is
where the files should be deleted, i.e., immediately after the
viewer exits.  The comments there say that the file should not be
deleted, but why?  Lynx does not use the file (although it does
remember whether or not the file has been created before or not
and will overwrite appropriately).  Anyway, hitting return on the
exact same link, Lynx still farms out the decompression and viewing
one more time.  Only if this behavior is prevented would it make
sense to keep the files around.

In "if (skip_loadfile) {",

                        LYSystem(me->end_command);

                        if (me->remove_command) {
                            /* NEVER REMOVE THE FILE unless during an abort!!!*/
                            FREE(me->remove_command);
                        }

why couldn't we remove the file either during an abort OR after exit
from the viewer?  One reason I would prefer this behavior is that I
often use readers to view very large files (1MB+) which are too heavy
for Lynx to handle reasonably.  If I view just a few of these, I soon
have 10MB+ sitting in /tmp or ~, and have to manually delete them from
another screen.

__Henry