Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2pre.7

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2pre.7
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 08:32:55 +0400 (MSD)

25-May-99 19:59 address@hidden wrote:

>> > no - still experimental (look at the changes).
>> right, but this option only available with -prettysrc switch
>> so would not affect people unless they know what they are doing.

>> > I've been thinking about how to script this, etc.
>>
>> are you talking about lynx.pot ?
>> (other files not maintained in fact, could be changed by hand).

> The makefile is maintained - what I was thinking about - the original
> makefile had some GNU-make specific trash which I removed.  So's the
> template for POTFILES.

> I'm ambivalent about lynx.pot (which can be generated), but I test against
> the fr.po - irregardless of whether it's in the distribution.

> I've avoided fixing the files in the intl directory, but even there I have
> a strong impression that even though it works, the people who should be
> maintaining it are moving on to another scheme which isn't compatible.

> So either we build a separate package to overlay the base distribution, or
> we leave it integrated.

IMO, the simplest way is keeping things together as now but overley languages
*.po files (they are expected to be maintainable the future, after releasing
2.8.2). Or probably overley the all things but we could get a hidden build
problems since we are too close to release now. Why not to do this later?
Anyway, I am not using gettext so not a right person to speak out here.

>> > If we're going to unbundle things, those lynxcfg files are a prime
>> There is a difference: nobody need several messages catalogs
>> unless for testing purposes or such.
>> Lynxcfg files may be of interest for any (advanced) user.

> they're all a problem in maintenance - we have a number of files which
> (from different people's viewpoints) are wholly redundant, but take a lot
> of effort to create.

There is no too much documentation, there is a user-friendly documentation and
user-unfriendly and alway there are people who never read documentation. Let
we add things and leave the discussion on extra 45 Kb of zip for 2.8.3dev when
we got a fallback.

I have a look at lynx executable size and lynx.cfg size for 2.6, 2.8, 2.8.1,
2.8.2 both expanded with the same speed (and lynx.cfg groth a little faster),
with the factor of 2 between 2.6 and 2.8.2. So catalog to navigare across
lynx.cfg is a good idea, we could not insist users to read this file several
times just to know that the new features are: they ask us questions, but FAQs
mot maintained now.  Hmm, I've speak out.