Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2pre.7

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2pre.7
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 18:50:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:

>  It seems to me that only HN objected against those html files. Nobody else
> objected against them in the list. And I don't see any problems in maintenance
> - edit template, run script, and you get a files - what can be simpler.
>  IMO non-motivated objection against the files from only 1 person (who I
> consider not lynx developer, but advanced lynx user) shouldn't be considered
> as a reason to not include those files and to postpone delivering valuable
> (for begginers at least) resource for half of a year.

I still haven't had a chance to evaluate the new files, but I do have
some comments about these exchanges. It seems that we are drifting
into ad hominem attacks. I really think that this isn't appropriate.
It doesn't matter whether someone is a "developer" or a "user". I hope
we are here to keep lynx functional and viable for us all. One of
lynx's good features is its ability to be used on multiple platforms.
We have many types of users for lynx, from restricted freenet users,
to those using precompiled binaries, to those compiling themselves.
Some use lynx because of its ease of use with screen readers, others
because they like the speed and lack of unnecessary baggage. For
this list to continue to function well, we need input from those who
use lynx on less common platforms, from those who use with unusual
configurations, from users of more common configurations, and from
those doing the coding. If we leave out or denigrate any of these
groups, the lynx effort will falter.

I would like each of us to please remember that the way that we use
lynx is not the way that everyone else uses lynx. What is an advantage
for one can be a disadvantage for others. Try to understand the
concerns of others even if they are not your individual concerns.

As far as the question of the new html files is concerned, I believe
that we are really supposed to be in a pre-release phase. No matter
how good the files may be, there are enough concerns about increase in
the size of the lynx distribution, validity and style of the html, and
whether they add substantially to the information already distributed
to say that they should not be included at the pre-release stage. I
hope, with more people having a chance to evaluate them thoroughly
after the release, that they will add to the lynx documentation,
either in their current form or in a modified fashion (perhaps by
prompting a reorganization of lynx.cfg) in the next development cycle.
                             Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)