Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.2pre7 + wrong link segfaults

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.2pre7 + wrong link segfaults
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 11:53:44 +0400 (MSD)

26-May-99 19:12 Frederic L. W. Meunier wrote:
> Hi. Maybe this is a stupid report, but at the HomePage
> http://www.simpleweb.com.br/info/perguntas.shtml there's a bad link
> pointing to file://localhost/C%7C/www/contrato. I accidently entered this
> and Lynx core dumped. Lynx was compiled with slang 1.3.6.

It seems you reporting a problem with a broken HTML page:
the actual reference was href="file:///C%7C/www/contrato"
which probably assume a file on author's machine
but not a remore machine. It should be a valid
relative URL against the original document's path
or an absolute URL.

(Also I assume author was from DOS-like system: C%7C/www/ means C|/www/ and I
whonder why not to use c:/www/ instead. I saw a strange code in lynx that
parse `|' after drive letter like `:' for DOSPATH case but probably done not
in all cases and I still have no idea why this path should not be assumed as
broken. Any pipe here?)

Anyway, core dump is a BAD thing and I cannot recreate your core dump with
2.8.2pre.7, could you give more information on you Lynx port:
does it OS/2, DJGPP, Win32 or UNIX build?
Could you rebuild lynx with "make distclean" and try again? Could you build
with a debug option and track out your core dump with a debugger?