Re: lynx-dev Comments on New Features summary

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Comments on New Features summary
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 18:51:37 -0400 (EDT)

> >          + modify keyboard interrupt check to check no more than one per
>                                                                     ^ once?
> >            second, since this check is comparatively slow. Use
> >            gettimeofday when available, to implement 0.1 second interval
> >            for skipping interrupt check.
>
> (Does this actually describe current behavior, i.e. does the once-per-second
> apply anywhere?)

some old machines (in my lab, for example) don't have gettimeofday.
probably applies to VMS also.  Since it's neither POSIX nor ANSI, I'd
expect the outlying 15-20% of machines don't necessarily have it.
That's why it's ifdef'd.

> >          + to accept cookies with no value, in case the site resets a
> >            cookie by nulling out the value
>
> Cookies with no value aren't really "accepted", they don't get stored
> (neither in memory nor on disk).  I think the behavior is actually wrong
> (but doesn't seem to do harm since no sites rely on it), suggest removing
> this item.

that was the original changelog entry (perhaps it was too vague or poorly
worded)

> >          + relax the cookie sanity checking for version 0 (old) cookies
> >            _only when_ the user has accept_all_cookies set
>
> This doesn't describe current behavior.  Use instead (something like):

something like (but we should try to be brief, I think)

> This is disabled.  Remove item.
>
> >          + navigation works to or inside text entry fields
>
> Only with ncurses I think, not with slang - please verify.

yes.

> >     * add 'a' response when printing a file to allow append rather than
> >       overwrite
>
> What does this mean?  I've never used this, where does one type 'a'?

I'll look this up (it's a special case)

> If this is a hidden feature (I could not find it in the Users Guide), it
> shouldn't be advertised here.
>
> >     * add support for content encoding for x-bzip2, bzip2 for suffix
> >       "bz2"
>
> It seems suffix ".bz2" on local files isn't actually recognized in this
> way - please verify, if true remove 'for suffix "bz2"'.
>
> >     * modify print-to-file logic to permit writing to pipe, provided
> >       that the user does not have no-shell restriction
>
> There is no hint how to actually do this.

if the template command begins with a '|', lynx does a popen rather than fopen.

> This seems to be a hidden feature (it isn't mentioned in the Users Guide),
> so it shouldn't be advertised here.

not all features in the changes (even pre-2.8) are in the users' guide).
we should update guide, yes.

thanks.

--
Thomas E. Dickey