Re: lynx-dev Re: 2.8.2 tarballs

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: 2.8.2 tarballs
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:14:48 +0400 (MSD)

3-Jun-99 19:48 Webmaster Jim wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 06:53:12PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
>> I've put the tar/zip/bzip tarballs on the release webpage.  Jim Spath
>> said he'll work on the ftp mirrors - for now the webpage should work.

> I've copied the zip and tar files to ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.2/
> Mirrors that are getting the entire site will pick this up shortly;
> those that only mirror the current subdirectory will not...

I think we should add a link to the list of sites
which mirror the release page (say, mirrors.html) -
they usually mirror old releases also, so we got a single list
for all releases to maintain it in future. BTW, we may add a link
to search engines there so an exact request will be ready to click for.
(Such list of mirrors assumed separate from "current/" page mirrors).
An obsolete/misguiding link to Subir's page can be referenced somethere else
or with another text.

Also I think we may add a link to README file from the release page
(perhaps, instead of INSTALLATION file).
The main reason of including INSTALLATION there was a numerous requests from
Windows95/etc users that they download the package but no .exe file inside...
README now provide an extensive link for such people.
It also has an information on Y2K which bother people a lot.

Perhaps, we should add Hiroyuki' win32 binary into a separate subdirectory
from the release page to allow more people with testing/usage (Wayne's page
is not maintained a lot). May be Doug's 386DOS version should be
included there also. PC ports something special: binary package maintainer
add more staff (aux programs and docs) how to manage this port working,
and users usually have no working compiler environment.