Re: lynx-dev Lynx and USE_MOUSE (lynx.cfg) - for linux, gpm

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and USE_MOUSE (lynx.cfg) - for linux, gpm
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:21:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Frederic L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Frederic L. W. Meunier wrote:
> >What console?   Assuming you mean linux:
> >It can work with ncurses on a linux console if and only if ncurses has
> >been compiled with gpm support (pre-compiled binary libs usually aren't)
> >and a gpm daemon is running.
>
> Yes, Linux. The Midnight Commander file manager can be built with
> ncurses/slang and gpmlib support too, but mouse support works without this
> configure option if you use a terminal emulator like XTerm/rxvt.
>
> Hmm. So, Lynx have mouse support if I use XTerm using ncurses or slang but
> in the console... I'm not a developer, just a user, but adding a configure
> options like the one in MC to link with gpmlib is good? Oh, I rarely use
> console, it's not for me. But it would be nice.

The lynx code doesn't know a thing about gpm.  If lynx is compile with
a suitable ncurses version, it tries to get mouse support from ncurses,
but it doesn't know anything about how the ncurses functions get mouse
input - from xterm, or from gpm functions, or maybe something completely
different.

Just linking with -lgpm isn't enough, the lynx code would have to be made
gpm-aware and call gpm functions instead of ncurses functions to get mouse
events, if you want to be able to use mouse support in the console with
ncurses but without recompiling ncurses.  I assume that's what MC does.

> >(pre-compiled binary libs usually aren't)
> Yes, my ncurses isn't. I'm using RedHat 5.1 (ncurses 4.2). And I really
> don't want to recompile ncurses for this. Too many applications depends on
> a working lib.

As long as your recompiled version is installed in a different location
(like under /usr/local) and uses a different soname you can use both.

   Klaus