Re: lynx-dev Lynx and USE_MOUSE (lynx.cfg) - for linux, gpm

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and USE_MOUSE (lynx.cfg) - for linux, gpm
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 11:42:44 -0400 (EDT)

> Just linking with -lgpm isn't enough, the lynx code would have to be made
> gpm-aware and call gpm functions instead of ncurses functions to get mouse
> events, if you want to be able to use mouse support in the console with
> ncurses but without recompiling ncurses.  I assume that's what MC does.

that's what it does (I haven't tried using that, but MC's xterm mouse
still uses timeouts to simulate dragging, which is supposed to be modeled
after the gpm interface).

> > >(pre-compiled binary libs usually aren't)
> >  -----------------------------------------
> > Yes, my ncurses isn't. I'm using RedHat 5.1 (ncurses 4.2). And I really
> > don't want to recompile ncurses for this. Too many applications depends on
> > a working lib.
>
> As long as your recompiled version is installed in a different location
> (like under /usr/local) and uses a different soname you can use both.

or (less cautious perhaps) if it's really the same version, you could
simply substitute the gpm'd libncurses.so

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden