Re: lynx-dev Re: table formatting (possible) solution

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: table formatting (possible) solution
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:14:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, thi wrote:
>here's an idea stolen from emacs that perhaps has been discussed already
>(if so, i welcome pointers to archives) -- how about rendering tables
>with no regard to actual number of screen columns?  if rendered-width
>goes beyond screen-width, display "$" at the edge (or whatever), and
>assign a keybinding that scrolls the screen horizontally (left, right)
>by say, 20-30 columns.  personally, i do this in emacs for many modes,
>using the `[' and `]' keys.

This is an idea many have talked about but nobody has implemented.  It's
apparently a lot of work.  Long ago I hypothesized about doing something
along the way of what GUI programs do -- render into a virtual screen
area larger than you can view at one time, and then shift around the
currently viewed area of the whole.  (This is sort of like 'pan and scan'
for movies, but good in the case of Lynx rather than evil in the case of pan
and scan.)

The response at the time was the at most one of the two (?) major text libraries
used for display supported such capabilities.. so it would be something
not usable by everyone..  and my laziness hasn't gotten me into looking into
how to do it at all.