Re: gettext improvements (was: lynx-dev French messages file)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: gettext improvements (was: lynx-dev French messages file)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:43:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 8-Jun-99 12:46 Henry Nelson wrote:
> >> Right. The long messages in general are losers, because as soon as
> >> someone "improves" the grammar the entire translated message is out of
> >> synch and thus lost. I see this in the French messages. Perhaps the
> >> effort to simplify the message base can be combined with the effort to
>
> > Unless others express their opinion, it becomes entirely Tom's call.
> > I certainly wouldn't mind if all of the gettext() calls in LYrcFile.c
>
> Why not to leave .lynxrc messages in lynx.pot file but without translation
> in *.po - this may be an option for others, so up to the taste of
> translator/dedicated host or group of users?   Why not to drop a comment
> in po/ directory for (potential) translators about .lynxrc and repetition
> in the documentations, the meaning of "yes"/"no" keys and their translation
> for hot keys, etc.?  [...]

I agree with leaving it in, it doesn't do any harm.  As you say, it's up
to the translator to decide whether he/she wants to translate that stuff.
There's no requirement that all strings have to be translated, if not
strings fall back to English.  Being able to say "100% of messages
translated" should not be overvalued.

    Klaus