Re: gettext improvements (was: lynx-dev French messages file)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: gettext improvements (was: lynx-dev French messages file)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:08:46 +0900 (JST)

> Why not to leave .lynxrc messages in lynx.pot file but without translation

Jim summed up one reason quite well, "long messages in general are losers."

I may be wrong here, and correct me if I am, but I think the .lynxrc
messages are unique in that they are not flashed on the screen [so fast
that they can only be comprehended in one's native language], but are
written out to a file which resides on disk, and can be read at leisure.
In that sense, they seem to me to more closely resemble comments in the
source code than message strings.

Although I guess it is no longer a goal, at one point Tom was looking
for ways to reduce the number of files containing gettexted strings
(to accommodate the Solaris xgettext?).

> for hot keys, etc.?  Why not to share your knowlage with others?

Well, responding to posts about NLS is about the only way I CAN share
my experiences.  I don't recall many other posts giving directions on
how to get NSL working:
   http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1198/msg00123.html
   http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1198/msg00514.html
Jim, Tom, a few others and myself have given countless tips concerning
NLS on the list over the last 7 months.  They are archived by thread
and are available to anyone who is interested.

__Henry