lynx-dev Re: Mac Lynx (fwd)

From: dickey
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Mac Lynx (fwd)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 05:30:39 -0400 (EDT)

> >I was wondering if you were any closer to devloping a mac version of Lynx. .
> >

> There is no active effort of which I am aware developing a Mac Lynx.
> There was an effort quite some time ago, but the author did not, as far
> as I am aware, submit the changes back to the lynx-dev mailing list.
>
> If you do know people interested, it would probably be easier to take
> the current lynx 2.8.2 at http://lynx.browser.org/ and port it a fresh.

that could be a fairly large task.  the MacLynx sources include a fair
amount of new code, as well as that grubby system interaction stuff
sprinkled throughout.  I would proceed as follows (lots of blanks to
fill in):

        + the MacLynx source is supposed to be a modification of some 2.7.1
          version.  I'd go back to 2.7.1 and get differences against that.

        + much of the change (the curses support) is in new files.  Put
          that into a new directory as such.

        + someone commented that the Mac development tools handle only unique
          filenames - we have one left (rename it).

        + look at the diff's for things that are needed to make it _compile_
          with the Mac.  Integrate those.

        + follow with changes needed to make it link (we're almost there).

        + the last 10% (which will take 90% of the time) is the functional
          changes.  Unless the port is organized nicely, the porter never
          gets to this point though, since there's the continual game of
          catch-up & resync.  (I can help up to this stage - at this point
          I can only offer advice and check that the integration changes
          don't break the Unix versions).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden