Re: "mailto:" + EXTERN wishlist [lynx-dev]

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: "mailto:" + EXTERN wishlist [lynx-dev]
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:04:50 -0700

[cc'd in case you don't follow lynx-dev]

On or about 10 Jun, 1999, Louis-David Mitterrand
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 02:41:41AM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > For mailto links, EXTERN ('.') can be used:
> >
> >     <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0299/msg00474.html>
>
> That's nice. I just mapped:
>
> EXTERNAL:mailto:mutt %s:TRUE ## mutt is a popular mail client under unix
>
> It would be absolutely perfect if the "mailto:"; prefix did not appear
> in %s and if the "subject?" field that can be added to mailto: links
> would be passed as %S for example.

When in doubt, wrap it!

I've got:

EXTERNAL:mailto:${HOME}/bin/scripts/lxmail.sh %s:TRUE

where lxmail.sh is the very minimal:

#!/bin/sh
#lxmail.sh called by lynx external for mailto:'s receives
#'mailto:address@hidden' as it's argument, chops off the
#'mailto:', and passes the address to an email program.
ADD=`echo $1 | cut -f2 -d:`
${HOME}/bin/mutt ${ADD}

, and I imagine some modification might even let you deal
with the "?subject"-type variations.

And thus perhaps we might approach absolute perfection in an
imperfect world.

HTH...

PS. There are also some environmental variables set by lynx
that might be useful, but I don't know whether/how they
could be used with EXTERN.  The (most easily found)
documentation only seems to mention PRINTER: and lynxcgi
use, I think.  See:

lynx_help/keystrokes/environments.html

--
Michael Warner <address@hidden>
  "'Just answering some E-mail,' Nat said without looking up.  'I'm in