Re: lynx-dev New version of lynx does not seem to suppot http 1.0

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev New version of lynx does not seem to suppot http 1.0
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:24:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Jason Miser wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use a cable modem that has a built in web page. from what the company
> that makes the cable modem says, the modem uses the http 1.0 protocol.
>
> An older version of lynx works. From Slackware 3.3 Dist. Now i am running
> the version "Lynx Version 2.8rel.2 (1998)" from the Slackware 3.6 Dist.
>
> Is there a way to force lynx to use the http 1.0 protocal?

Of course Lynx uses the HTTP 1.0 protocol - it wouldn't be a Web browser
otherwise.

> we hav to do this to Internet Explorer to get it to work with the modem.
> Netscape (all versions) work with the modem.

This may be about some workaround for a bug in the server (= the modem??)
you are trying to access, or in IE.  It may be about what HTTP version
number IE sends in its requests, and/or about avoiding persistent
connections.  But Lynx always sends version number HTTP/1.0 in requests,
and does not implement persistent connections anyway, so that workaround
would be meningless for lynx.  There must be something else going on.

> Or any ideas why this will not work, please let me know. ;-)
>
> If you need any more info, please let me know.

Send some trace info,
           lynx -trace
should create a ~/Lynx.trace file.

Do you need to set a proxy for what you are trying to do?  (or,
conversely, have you set up lynx to use a proxy when it shouldn't?)

  Klaus