Re: lynx-dev Tables in Lynx

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Tables in Lynx
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:48:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
>All the more reason for trying to use "the proxy, download, or external
>options already available", if you feel that way.
>
>I am still bewildered that not more people are trying the scripts
>in the TABLES section in
>
>   Linkname: Patches and plugins for Lynx
>
>This indicates to me that there isn't THAT much SERIOUS demand for table
>support.

This shows that I am really not a Lynx expert.. Which, if any, of these
options will give the user a single user interface, and not require
them to do a lot of extra work to get something to happen?

My first _guess_ is at most the proxy will.  External requires you to go to
the link and hit ".", right?  More work...

While I very strongly agree with the "keep UNIX programs as small as possible
and reuse other programs for some parts" philosophy, it seems to me that
having Lynx do tables well _is_ within the 'job' of a web browser, so
anything that requires the user to manually call (or quit) external programs
shouldn't be necessary..  Now, if there comes to a point when the table
support is "as good as it's going to get" within Lynx itself, but it's still
possible to use an external program for an even better representation,
now that's reasonable..  But from a first pass, it seems to me that Lynx
shouldn't _require_ external programs to render pages decently.