Re: lynx-dev Tables in Lynx

From: Dave Eaton
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Tables in Lynx
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:01:57 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Ami Fischman wrote:
> > At last check, that section
> > contained only options that would format a table, but taking out the links.
> > multitude of sites that use tables to format their web pages for navigation
> > purposes.  A table that contains the text but not the links is completely
> > useless to me in this capacity...
>
> I think someone recently wrote that lack of better formatting for *simple*
> tables was the most frustrating.  I tend to agree with that.
>
> If tables that really contain just tabular data - not tables abused for
> layout - can be displayed in tabular form, that's better than nothing.
> All-or-nothing is not a productive approach here, imo.  More complicated
> tables will be difficult, whether outside of lynx or within lynx.

I can agree that falling short of the "all" is better than "nothing", but
I agree with Ami that an implementation that removes links from table
cells is not useful. Mosaic's table attempt was such a contraption and
caused tables to be avoided for a long time and that was early in
Web-time. Many more people now have understood the valus of hyperlinks,
even within "real"/"simple" tables, not ones used for layout purposes.
Lynx today allows users to follow links in such tables, it just displays
them in a "non opportune" manner. making them prettier but removing the
ability to follow links would be a step backwards.

BTW, I also followed the link tot he references on tables. Some of the
links on the target page are stale (or at least were not up when I tried
today) and those that were up talk about Lynx 2.6 and are not real clear
on what to do to make use of them, at least not with the level of reading
I had time to give them. My guess is that the general Lynx user who wants
tables will not be able to put in the time it will take to band-aid those
"solutions" into their operation.

One of the other standards-adhering potential solutions that has been
discussed lately would be better.

Just my $.02 with a $.02 discount. <g>
 Dave Eaton
--
 Artronic Development  - Your Web Site Solution
 12629 N. Tatum Blvd., Suite 224; Phoenix, AZ 85032