Re: lynx-dev Tables in Lynx

From: Eduardo Chappa L.
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Tables in Lynx
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:11:24 -0700 (PDT)

*** Klaus Weide (address@hidden) wrote Today:
:)
:) And come on, going to the link and hitting "." isn't that much work...
:) (assuming it can be done that way).

  The only problem with invoking a script this way is that you need a link
to the page from an opened document in lynx, which is not possible if your
page is the startup page (this is the case when I open a web page from my
mail reader).

  I hacked the code a few days ago in order to solve this and add the "S"
key ("S" for script - by the way "s" and "S" were defined the same, for
those looking for definitions for keys), which works the same way as for
the external command. In this case "S" reads the definition for "http" in
your EXTERNAL definitions in lynx.cfg and applies a script associated to
http rules. More explicitly,

  EXTERNAL:http:script %s:TRUE

  where "script" is shell script which reads a URL and does something with
it. In my case, the script opens a new session of lynx with the processed
document. The same could be done more painfuly with the jump command, and
it was the way I did it before. This is way faster!.

  What I would like to do is to send to the script more parameters, but I
do not know how to do that yet, I'll have to look around the code in order
to find out how to do that. Maybe I won't use the EXTERNAL command at all
in the end, but I expect this way will be a good way to "solve" the problem
with tables.

  If you are interested in a patch, please let me know. But first tell me
how to send it, I have no idea how to create one.

  Thanks,

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/personal.html