Re: lynx-dev lynx-2.8.2 and Cookies

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx-2.8.2 and Cookies
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 02:09:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, ONIME EHIMIKA OHIREIME wrote:

> I would like lynx to update the persistent cookie file even when the
> option -source is included.
>
> Well about why I am not really worried about the rejected cookie, because
> the same cookie gets set by a different server (via a redirection) and it
> becomes accepted by lynx.

Thank you for giving the background information.

See the lynx-dev archive for last December:
   <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1298/>
and read the messages with "Dump_Output_Imm" in the subject.  The analysis
there still seems to apply to the current code.  There are some suggested
solution in the thread, but none of them have been put in the code yet.

Maybe it should go in the next devel code, but changes should be tested
by someone who really sometimes uses that combination (-source + cookies)
which excludes me.

(Note that there are currently other cookie-related problems with Yahoo,
see current lynx-dev messages.)

> Thanks
> Clement Onime
>
> Some extra informaton
> =====================
> Incidentally, I am the author of an e-mail to web gateway called www4mail.
> This gateway software was written in perl but uses lynx to perform the
> Network access, primarily because lynx suports things such as redirection
> and cookies.. (personally I think lynx is an excellent and useful browser,
> so why write a new one).

And thank you for providing such a a useful service!

> This gateway offers in addition to web access, cookie handling, language
> and character set support for users of e-mail to web gateways.
>
> For the cookie handling, each user gets a unique cookie file created from
> his e-mail address and a Lynx CFG file is created for each run of lynx.
> The CFG file would have things like the cookie file location, accepted
> languages, charsets and co..
>
> Typically the gateway expects to download the HTML source but does not
> worry about thinks like cookies and co.
>
> The HTML source may be modified before being sent to the user in order to
> permit WEB browsing by e-mail.
>
> The primary gateway address@hidden currently serves about
> 2000 requests daily.
>
> I had modified lynx version 2.8.1 to do this but It wouldn't be nice to
> keep patching every new version of lynx, it means that we the operators of
> www4mail gateways cannot just upgrade to the latest version of lynx..

What changes did you have to make to 2.8.1?

If they are useful for more than just you, you should send patches and a
description to address@hidden (but preferably for the current code).
Then they might get included in the next version.

      Klaus