lynx-dev HTML docs (not yours!) with almost every link "broken"

From: Nicholas Bodley
Subject: lynx-dev HTML docs (not yours!) with almost every link "broken"
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:41:01 -0400 (EDT)

 Not sure how common this is, and I don't want to waste your time*.

 In short, there is apparently near-total inconsistency in filename
case. Friendly compliments and chat at the end.

 *Nevertheless, it's awfully hard to keep the -v option at bay.

 This doc. (really a collection, as a DOS-compatible .zip file) has
an apparently near-total inconsistency in filename case, between the
[calling highlight] and the [target filename]. (Sorry! I just barely
speak HTML!) I'd assume that many docs at this site have the same
problem. (Btw, New Deal is doing Very Good Things (otherwise), imho.)

ftp://ftp.newdealinc.com/pub/newdeal_files/newbasic/nbhtm.zip

 When run in Lynx, just about every attempt to go to a new place in
HTML "breaks", because of the inconsistency in the letter case of
the filenames. I've written the Webmaster of the site, telling him
that I trust Lynx much more than Netscape or M$. Apparently, there
are more 'toupper' commands out there than there should be.

 It's a hard choice you have; to accommodate sloppy syntax, or to
folllow reasonable standards. Having too many operating modes
confuses naive users. My choice is strongly in favor of doing things
right!

 I'm not a List subscriber; generally, I don't bother you.
Nevertheless, I'm an absurdly-loyal Lynx (and Pine) user; a friendly
sysop at my ISP has compiled a recent beta release of 2.8.2, and it
runs just beautifully. It's an excellent file mgr. for a shell
account!  Somebody seems to have speeded up the rendering of local
files into HTML-like format by maybe 100 times, some time back.

 Fwiw, I use a shell acct. on a very nice old H-P Vectra 386/16,
MS-DOS, Conex (vg!), 8/52 MB. Been working poor. Upgrades of some
sort, soon. Codepage 819 (orig. for the IBM AS/400 ?) gives me total
Latin-1 compatibility without translation tables.

 Will we *ever* convince Webmasters that Lynx (recent revs) handles
frames?

 Thanks, ever so much, for your ongoing excellence. By all means,
keep the faith!

Best regards!