lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.2

From: dickey
Subject: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.2
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:27:28 -0400 (EDT)

1999-06-18 (2.8.3dev.2)
* move some of the path-manipulation from the DJGPP dired change into new
  functions LYisAbsPath, LYisRootPath and LYLastPathSep -TD
* integrated patch adapted by DK from Igor B Poretsky <address@hidden> for
  dired support with DJGPP.  (Some corrections/rework by TD also - must
  retest).  Some notes from DK:
  + Since this is DJGPP based, it may be incompatible with a called program
    that uses a WATCOM DOS extender.  I think I had this problem with a
    precompiled binary for zip.  The current zip binary doesn't have this
    problem.
  + The key to making this work with DJGPP is the __sysflags = 0x501d in
    LYMain.c, since this lets the system() call handle multiple commands on one
    line and allows the cd command to work across disks.
  + I didn't look at Igor's changes to LYMainLoop.c as regards to the HTUncache
    calls.  He said he wasn't sure about this.
  + This was tested with Info-Zip's zip and unzip, GNU tar, gzip, comp430d,
    PKZIP, and PKUNZIP.  This was only tested when built with slang.  I don't
    see where PDCurses is likely to cause a problem, however.
  Problems:
  + To make this work, I made lynx_edit_mode = TRUE in LYMainLoop.c.  This does
    not seem to be the correct solution.  It seems that this should be handled
    by the code in HTAccess.c, but I don't understand how this works.  If
    lynx_edit_mode isn't true, the dired menu doesn't appear with the "f"
    invocation of LYK_DIRED_MENU.
  + I'll try to explain this briefly, but this bug is very reproducible.  If a
    program is invoked from the dired menu which needs to interact with the
    user, the system sometimes freezes and has to be rebooted.  For example, a
    call to unzip a zip archive where the files already exist has zip ask if
    the file should be overwritten.  If done initially after lynx is started,
    no keystrokes are accepted and the system always hangs.  If, however, any
    file has been moved or had its name changed via the dired menu, then the
    above problem doesn't occur.  I have tried to see what changes after the
    name change that fixes this problem, but I am stumped.  Gzip and unzip seem
    to have this problem, but PKUNZIP doesn't.
* correct most-recent LYNX_RELEASE_DATE (reported by KW) -TD
* change touchline() call in LYOptions.c to touchwin() in case anyone wants to
  compile with BSD 4.4 curses (reported by IC) -TD
* modified ifdef for DECL_ERRNO to allow for errno to be a macro -TD
* ifdef'd the extern declaration of h_errno in HTTCP.c in case that name is
  also a macro, e.g., for threaded code (reported by Mike Gravitz
  <address@hidden> on AIX 4.3.1.0) -TD
* rename ALLOW_USERS_TO_CHANGE_EXEC_WITHIN_OPTIONS to keep the names less than
  31 characters, and add configure option --enable-change-exec to set the
  ENABLE_OPTS_CHANGE_EXEC ifdef -TD
* correct syntax of popup_choices() within
  ALLOW_USERS_TO_CHANGE_EXEC_WITHIN_OPTIONS ifdef (reported by IC) -KW
* modified some message texts, mostly for consistency -KW
* correct display of local file times in INFO screen -KW
* add null-pointer checks for buf2 variable in
  exit_immediately_with_error_message().  Invalid memory access happens if
  access to startfile fails but first_file is not true -KW
* change all ifdef's except on for VAX ultrix that use the presumed predefined
  symbol 'unix' to 'UNIX', which the configure script sets.  Not all Unix
  systems define this in their compiler -TD
  From compiler warning on NetBSD 1.4 (report by JS):
    deprecated symbol "unix" is no longer predefined
* add experimental file-upload, ifdef'd with EXP_FILE_UPLOAD and configured
  with --with-file-upload (adapted from patch by RP) -TD
* document use of '|' pipes in PRINTER commands in lynx.cfg -TD
* add shell script man2hlp.sh, used that to generate lynx.hlp from lynx.man -TD
* SOURCE_CACHE:  source_cache_file and source_cache_chunk are now members of
  HTParentAnchor (where they should belong, not HText nor mutable globals).
  Add one more parse setting member (verbose_img) to HText structure -LP
* correct spelling of ifdef for reload_read_cfg() (reported by KW) -LP
* minor docs tweaks -LP
* test/{sgml.html, unicode.html} files were badly broken for tagsoup mode
  (incorrect html: extra <pre>..</pre> were added inside PRE mode in dev26) -LP
* fix back-slashes conversion for DOSPATH systems when expanding ~ to local
  path (mostly affects information screen) -LP
* correct default value for --disable-persistent-cookies configure option
  (reported by HenSiong Tan <address@hidden>) -TD
* uncomment --with-libjs configure option -TD